Updated on 01/05/2021: Included info about the footnotes community meeting and our search for volunteers
This page is about the WordPress plugin footnotes
It has been under development since 19 March 2014.
footnotes aims to be the all-in-one solution for displaying an automatically generated list of references on your Page or Post. The Plugin ships with a set of defaults while also empowering you to control how your footnotes are being displayed.
footnotes gives you the ability to display well-formatted footnotes on your WordPress Pages and Posts — those footnotes we know from offline publishing.
The plugin has been featured on wpmudev — cheers for the review, folks!
Footnotes Community Meetings
We recently held our first footnotes community meeting and it’s open to the public.
Ongoing call for developers and contributors
We’re looking for volunteers to help with the advancement and support of the plugin:
- Ambassadors: To promote the plugin and its usefulness for websites of all categories
- Support representatives: To help with troubleshooting and interaction with the community in the forums
- Beta testers: To test development releases against common scenarios
- Developers: To build the automated testing suite (PHP Unit tests) and help with the overall development of the plugin
- Fully customizable footnotes start and end shortcodes;
- Styled tooltips supporting hyperlinks display footnotes or a dedicated text;
- Responsive Reference Container at the end or positioned by shortcode;
- Display the footnotes Reference Container inside a Widget;
- Wide choice of numbering styles;
- Freely configurable and optional backlink symbol;
- Configure the footnotes’ appearance by dashboard settings and Custom CSS style rules;
- Button in both the Visual and the Text editor to add shortcodes around selection.
Where to get footnotes?
The current version is available on the WordPress.org Plugin Directory.
These are a few examples of possible ways to delimit footnotes:
- Your awesome text ((with an awesome footnote))
- Your awesome text [ref] with an awesome footnote [/ref]
- Your awesome text
<fn>with an awesome footnote
- Your awesome text
custom-shortcodewith an awesome footnote
Huge thanks to every footnotes user, contributor, bug reporter, feature requester and fan!